Feb 08 , 2019
The human body is an intriguing structure. The number of organs within the body and the intricate role that each one plays in its functioning is nothing short of a miracle. We regularly take care of the visible parts of the body but the invisible heroes get attention only when some problem arises.
One such invisible hero is the colon. Colon is just another name for the large intestine. Ever heard of cleaning the large intestine or colon and why would you clean it?
What is the function of the colon?
Let us revise our knowledge of physiology. The large intestine is the last organ in the digestive system. After the food is digested and its nutrients are absorbed by the small intestine, it is passed on to the large intestine. This organ absorbs the water and salt from the waste food and throws the remains out of our system.
Colon Cleansing–Do you need it?
According to the tenets of Ayurveda, over a period of time toxins get accumulated in the colon. These toxins not only deter the functioning of the healthy bacteria in the colon but they also can be the root cause for a number of health problems. Namely- arthritis, high blood pressure, weight gain, diarrhea, vomiting, and indigestion. Long term problems include colon cancer, heart problems, and kidney trouble.
Benefits of Colon Cleansing
The benefits of colon cleansing are -
- Balances the doshas
- Increases mental alertness
- Helps in weight loss
- Prevents constipation
- Promotes better sleep
- Strengthens the body
- Improves absorption of vitamins and minerals
How to cleanse the colon?
Colon cleansing can be done using an enema or by colon cleaning products that are available over the counter.
For natural and regular cleaning, we recommend a few simple home remedies that are effective and without any side effects. Listed are a few of them
- Water cleanse- A simple and effective way of cleansing the colon. It is recommended that a person drinks 6-8 glasses of lukewarm water every day. This helps in hydrating the system and eliminating the toxins accumulated in the colon.
You can also supplement this by including water-rich fruits and vegetables in your diet. These include watermelons, strawberries, tomatoes, oranges, pineapple, cucumber, and spinach.
- Probiotics- Adding probiotics to your meal is another way of cleansing the colon. Probiotics are filled with good bacteria that are beneficial for gut health. While you do get a number of probiotics in the stores, we recommend that you stick to homemade foods and natural probiotics.
Yogurt, kimchi, and fermented products foods top our list. Apple cider vinegar is also considered to be a good probiotic. It is said that Apple cider vinegar has enzymes and bacteria that limits the bad bacteria in the colon.
- Fiber- Fiber is a plant product which is very often overlooked in a diet. Fiber helps to bulk up the matter in the colon. It also helps in regulating constipation and overactive bowels.
Fiber-rich foods include whole grains and cereals, unpolished pulses and legumes, vegetables (cabbage, cauliflower carrot), fruits (bananas, apples, guavas) and green leafy vegetables.
- Flax seeds- Flaxseed is very effective in cleansing the colon too. Flaxseed has both soluble and insoluble fibers which help in eliminating waste and maintaining the pH balance in the colon.
Flaxseed can be taken by itself or after it has been soaked in water. Alternatively one can add whole flax seeds or flax seed powder to juices and smoothies.
- Triphala- Last but not the least is the powerful Triphala churna. The Triphala Tablet is a combination of the powder of three fruits. You can read more about Triphala here. How does this Churna help? Triphala increases Peristalsis and also removes accumulated toxins gradually and gently.
For dosage, mix a teaspoon of Triphala in warm water and let it stand for 10 minutes. Sip on this water just before sleeping. At time Triphala can cause constipation. In such a case increase the dosage of the powder from one to two teaspoons. But always choose 100% natural and authentic Triphala Churna for best results.
These simple home remedies for colon cleansing are effective and easy too. However, be cautious. Overdoing anything has its setback and it's the same with colon cleansing techniques.
The side effects of intensive colon cleansing are
- Stomach cramps
Also, avoid combining a colon cleansing procedure with fasting. That can also adversely affect the body.
Every part of our body should be cared for, both internal and external. Practice colon cleansing at regular intervals for a healthy gut and be free of colon related issues.