· By Chiru Roy
Is Summer Heat causing Skin Allergies?
Summer heat can be damaging to your skin. In summers as temperatures soar, sweat, heat and dust can cause a lot of skin troubles. With higher temperatures, seasonal skin troubles ranging from heat rashes to stubborn allergies start affecting people of all ages. In this weather, the skin problems get triggered by heat or sweat or may be due to allergens in the environment like molds, pollens, plants, etc.
Why Skin Allergy?
Skin is the biggest organ of the body that shields us from the outside world. Skin acts as a protective layer that prevents infection, dirt or chemicals, and ultraviolet rays from invading the body. It also plays an important role to maintain body's temperature. Sweating is a way for the body to cool down. Sweat is produced in sweat glands, located in the dermis or deeper layer of the skin, and are regulated by the temperature control centers in the brain. Sweat from the gland reaches the skin surface through a duct, and the problem starts when this duct gets clogged. So now the sweat cannot reach the outer surface of skin, and that in turn, causes inflammation or rash.
Common Skin Problems and easy home remedies Here we have listed seven major skin problems that are aggravated in summers -
1. Itching Summers are the best time for all such creepy-crawly sensations, often followed by sudden appearance of redness, bumps, crusting or swelling. Mostly itching is caused by bug bites or dryness or sometimes, it can just be an allergic reaction. Treat it by staying ventilated in all areas, keeping skin dry.
2. Heat rash Hot, humid weather brings on rash, in which clogged sweat ducts trap perspiration under the skin. It shows up as tiny, itchy bumps or blisters, most often in skin folds or places where clothes cause friction. Treatment: Heat rash usually goes away on its own after a few days. Wear lightweight breathable clothes so that sweat evaporates. Avoid applying heavy creams or ointments that may block sweat ducts.
3. Poison ivy If you rub against any of the creepers like poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac, it causes allergy, mainly because of the presence of urushiol oil in it. Result is red raised patches, blisters, some swelling, and itching. Treat it by washing the area with soap and water to remove the irritating oils.
4. Fungal infection Warm and moist areas easily catch yeast infection, caused by an overgrowth of a fungus called Candida albicans. Vaginal skin infections develop quicker when the acidic balance in the vagina shifts, after a dose of antibiotics or steroids, or during pregnancy and menstruation. It shows up in the form of redness, itching or irritation. Athlete’s foot is another fungal infection caused in sweaty closed-toe shoes, or if you have a minor skin or nail injury. It is seen as peeled skin, or flakes in between the toes, along with crusting blisters. Treat it by applying antifungal creams.
5. Hives (urticaria) Hives are a common reaction to different allergens, it may be food, pollen, some medication or insect bite. They usually pop up when exposed to extreme cold or hot weather or when you are sweating a lot. Hives can show in any part of the body, in the form of raised red welts with clear edges. Treat it with antihistamines. They sometimes disappear on their own, just avoid hot showers and tight-fitting clothes.
6. Eczema (atopic dermatitis) Hot weather can make eczema rash itch more badly. Humidity worsens it further. You might have it in areas where you can’t cover up, like on the face or other visible body parts revealed by summery clothes, making it more emotionally upsetting. Treat it by applying moisturizer and continue the eczema treatment.
7. Allergic Rhinitis (Hay Fever) Symptoms of seasonal allergic rhinitis occur and worsen in summers. The reason being allergic sensitivity to airborne mold spores or to pollens from grass, trees and weeds. Symptoms are runny or stuffy nose with itchy eyes and face. Prevent it by keeping the windows closed and wearing glasses when going outdoors.
One Stop Solution Vedi suggests an Ayurvedic classical medicine to treat or avoid many skin allergies caused during the month of summers. Haridrakhand is the famous formulation with organic turmeric as the main ingredient. Loaded with the goodness of turmeric and other natural herbal powders, this compound can be your best mate to beat allergies. It is like a protection for all skin types against the problems like itchiness, pruritis, fungal infections, hives and blisters.
- It adds to the skin glow and improves complexion.
- Cures skin diseases like itching, skin rash, hives, inflamed skin, fungal infections, even leaking fluid from the skin.
- It rejuvenates and revitalizes while delaying the occurrence of wrinkles.
- It has shown magical results for patients suffering from Allegic Rhinitis and Eczema.
Summers are little difficult for people suffering from skin allergies, but if you take proper care, and not allow the infection to grow, it can be easily managed.