· By Chiru Roy
Enjoy an Ayurvedic Bath at Home
Bath, simplistically speaking is cleansing your body with water. But a bath is also called a beauty bath! Ever thought why?
In the ancient times, people took their bath very seriously. They used nourishing oils for their body and hair, because skin being the largest organ soaks a lot of the ingredients presentin bath oils and can be easily rejuvenated and hydrated. They sourced the finest ingredients like sandalwood, lemon, tulsi, gram flour, etc. to pamper their skin!
Over the years we have replaced the traditional bathing ingredients with chemical soaps and commercially manufactured products that strip off natural oils and create imbalance. These products can be very harmful and lead to various health problems. You can read more about the disadvantages of using toxin ladenbath products here
So, what are the benefits of these natural herbs and ingredients on our skin? The list of is exhaustive. We shall focus on a few of them in this blog.
Tulsi:Tulsi or Holy Basil is a native of India. This herb is almost 5000 years old and is also revered in India. Tulsi has many wonderful uses.
- It has antioxidants which can rejuvenate the skin
- These very antioxidants slow down the aging process
- Powder of Tulsi leaves a glow to the skin
- The leaves have antibacterial and antifungal properties that can prevent acne
- These very same properties also prevent skin infections
Lime: Lime when ingested has properties to balance Vata and Kaphadoshas in our body. The beauty benefits of lime are:
- Natural bleaching agent, which reduces dark spots
- Lime oil has astringent properties and helps in tightening open pores
- The antioxidant, disinfectant and antibiotic properties in lime protect the skin from infections
Lavender: Lavender is widely known for its calming effect on the mind. However, its benefits for the skin is slowly gaining popularity. For topical skin care, Lavender Flower Extract or Lavender Oil is used. The oil is extracted from the flower of the plant.
- Lavender is a natural sebum balancing agent. This quality helps prevent acne.
- Its antibacterial property prevents skin infections
- Lavender is also a gentle cleansing agent that refreshes and normalizes the skin
Peppermint: Popularly known as Pudina, this herb is said to be the world’s oldest medicine. This herb has benefits beyond food as well.
- The menthol in peppermint oil not only has a cooling effect, it also brightens up dull skin
- Menthol also has an effect on the secretion of oil by the sebaceous glands. This helps in keeping your skin oil free and controls acne.
- Peppermint has a soothing effect and is used to heal minor irritation on the skin.
Himalayan Cedarwood: Though it sounds like some fancy herb, Himalayan cedarwood is referred as the tree of the Gods. Cedarwood has antifungal, antiseptic, antibacterial, antioxidant, and astringent properties.
- Since it has antiseptic properties,it keeps skin infections at bay
- Due to its antifungal properties, it is helpful for skin conditions like eczema
- It also prevents clogging of the skin and keeps pores open
- The astringent property of Cedarwoodhelps in tightening the skin and muscles. This makes the skin feel tighter and gives a feeling of firmness and fitness.
Patchouli: The name Patchouli is said to be derived from the Hindi word “pacholi” which means “to scent”. Our ancestors used this oil to treat hair problems like dandruff, oily scalp, skin irritations like dryness, acne, and eczema.
- The oil is said to increase blood circulation thus helps in maintaining a healthier and youthful-looking skin.
- The oil has moisturizing properties which help in keeping your skin hydrated
- Its antiseptic and moisturizing properties can also help in treating conditions like eczema.
Apart from the above-mentioned benefits, all these herbs have a wonderful fragrance that can do wonders for your mood.
Now, imagine having a luxurious bath and soaking in a tub with these wonderful herbs in them. Sounds relaxing and soothing, isn't it? The only problem is that we wouldn't know where to source them from and the authenticity of the ingredients.
Well, don’t be disappointed. It is easy to use these in your everyday bath. Vedi Herbals makes soaps using these very ingredients. Vedi uses 100% organic, natural and authentic ingredients grown and cultivated in the hinterlands of our country. Soaps from Vedi herbals are available in both liquid and bar forms, so you can choose as per your convenience.
To further enhance our skin conditions, Vedi uses Hempseed oil in all their soaps. Read more about the benefits of hemp seed oil here.
Say yes to a luxurious and pampered skin with an Ayurvedic bath.