- Eat foods to balance Vata Dosha. Vata characteristics are cool, light, dry and rough. So, one should eat foods that neutralize these qualities to help balance excess Vata. Choose foods that are warm, moist, oily, smooth and nourishing.
- Massage with oil is always beneficial, at morning and night.
- Relax your mind and body by yoga and meditation, especially before bed.
- Eat three regular meals, all warm and freshly cooked, having the biggest portion in the afternoon. Try to eat dinner by 7:00 p.m., so that there is enough time to digest the food before bed.
- Go to bed by 10:00 pm and wake up by 6:00 am.
- Eat foods to balance the aggravated Pitta. The Pitta-pacifying diet involves eating more sweet, bitter and astringent foods. Eat more sweet and juicy fruits. While Ayurveda recommends cooked food instead of raw foods.
- Skipping or delaying meals should be avoided. Don’t starve! Eat a good evening meal, so you don't feel hungry before bed.
- Using aromatic Pitta cooling oil before bedtime.
- Avoid getting overheated while exercising. Prefer cooling sports, like swimming, skiing, hiking (not in the sun) or just walks.
- Sleep before 10 pm and wake up before 6:00 a.m.
- Eat Kapha balancing food. Decrease the consumption of caffeine. Instead, opt for green tea, lemon or ginger tea. This will reinforce the body, and remove Ama. Avoid desserts, especially heavy, cold sweets such as ice creams and shakes.
- Kapha dominant people require rigorous exercise, and the best time to exercise is the morning (6:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m.). Perform Pranayam (Breathing exercises) regularly.
- Rise before 6:00 a.m. Sleeping past Kapha time (6:00-10:00 a.m.) may cause Ama (toxins) to accumulate.
Ayurvedic Herbal Remedies If you find that above mentioned practices are not helping you enough, you may consult an Ayurvedic Doctor at Vedi Herbals and try some of the herbal remedies.
1. Vijaya 2:1 Cannabis has been used since ancient time in Ayurveda as a sleep aid.Cannabis has been proven to shorten the time it takes to fall asleep, lengthen deep sleep time, relieve anxiety and reduce pain, which together help in promoting sleep. Vedi offers full spectrum cannabis extract that is standardized to 4% CBD and 2% THC ( CBD:THC 2:1) that is very effective in improving sleep quality and duration. To know more, read the blog, Use Cannabis to improve sleep.
2. Sarpagandha GhanVati is an amazing natural medicine that is helpful in treating insomnia due to hypertension. Sarpagandha is the main ingredient in Sarpagandha ghanvati which has valuable therapeutic actions, for the treatment of hypertension and psychotic disorders like schizophrenia, anxiety, epilepsy, insomnia and insanity. It is also used as a sedative and a hypnotic drug. Reserpine, the main active constituent of Sarpagandha has anti-hypersensitivity and tranquillizing properties. This multi-herbal concentrate is available in tablet form, as Sarpagandha ghanvati. Cannabis infused Sarpagandha is a boon for patients suffering from sleep disorders due to hypertension.
3. Ashwagandha Ashwagandha (Withaniasomnifera) commonly known as Indian ginseng or winter cherry, is an ancient Ayurvedic super herb. The cooling effects of Ashwagandha on the nervous system helps to treat anxiety, insomnia and even ADHD. Not just for sleep, it acts as a natural stress booster, which rejuvenates, produce energy which helps the body to ease stress. A powerful adaptogen, Ashwagandha normalizes physiological functions. It also acts as a natural stress buster and helps to reduce drowsiness. Read more about Ashwagandha here and how to take it here.