Ayurveda is the consciousness-based approach to health, in every step of life, while you sleep, eat, go out in nature or work. Ayurveda is the science of life. Ayur means “life” and veda means “science” or “knowledge”. Ayurveda shows you the way of life to achieve and maintain a healthy body and mind. According to the tenets of Ayurveda the mind and body are connected, hence a healthy mind creates a healthy body and vice versa. It also believes in the principle of “Prevention is better than cure”. Here we have enlisted 10 easy and friendly tips for a healthy life with Ayurveda. Try them and feel the difference yourself.
1. Follow a Daily Routine Ayurveda recommends following a disciplined everyday routine. Your sleep time, eat time, walk time should be same time every-day. Ayurveda suggests the best time to sleep is around 10 PM, wake up time should be around 6 AM. Eating should be at regular times, without skipping a meal. This way the body and Agni (the digestive fire) work optimally and food is digested properly.
2. Eat freshly prepared food Eat hot and properly cooked food with salads as a small portion. Food should be warm and seasoned with spices to aid digestion. Do not drink large amounts of liquids during meals, as it will dilute the digestive acids which results in poor digestion and assimilation. Foods that are processed, canned, frozen or packaged are harder to digest, and therefore create ama, or toxins in the body. You should eat lighter food in spring and summer and more of juicy fruits. While in winters, have more soups and stews loaded with root vegetables.
3. Eat When You Are Hungry You should eat after a certain interval and that too when you feel hungry. It indicates that previous meal has been properly digested and Agni is ready to digest the next meal. Eating without the feeling of hunger will often lead to Kapha disorders like gaining weight and poor digestion.
4. Drink more water and less caffeine Reduce your caffeine intake, as it interferes with digestion and sleep. Ayurveda recommends you to stay hydrated. If you still insist on caffeine intake, schedule it in the first half of the day, rather than late evening, when Kapha suggests we slow down.
5. Never Suppress Your Body’s Natural Urges If you suppress bodily urges like cough, burp, flatus etc., it causes the disturbance of vata in the body and when vata is disturbed, it leads to bloated feeing, and breathing problems. Therefore, try not to suppress natural bodily urges.
6. Stay active with walk and exercise Regular morning walk, some stretching exercises do wonders for body. Actually, not just body, the brain also releases endorphins and serotonin during exercise that makes us feel good. You must practice either yoga, walk, cycling, swimming or any physical activity to maintain Agni in the body. Try using stairs for a couple of floors, get down from the bus one stop early, walk and talk, every bit helps. But how do you know, what’s your required amount of exercise? As per Ayurveda, you should exercise till you sweat.
7. Stress free Sleep The time when our body rejuvenates and detoxify, is while we are having good sleep. That time, our inner cells work in harmony to strengthen our immune system and circulate vibrant energy throughout our body. So avoid late nights, lot of TV and smartphone before sleep, take a warm bath before bed and use lavender liquid castile soap to calm you down. Natural lavender fragrance reduces anxiety, stress and has a calming effect on the mind.
8. Keep Digestive System Healthy Good health and good digestion go hand in hand. When you eat fibrous food, stay active, the bowel movement is there. Avoid constipation and problems like upset stomach. But sometimes, if your digestion gets affected, you can take ayurvedic Bilvadi Churna. Its main ingredients are Bel fruit and seed. It provides quick relief from stomach problems such as Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), Diarrhoea, Indigestion and stomach pain.
9. Practice Meditation At Least 20 Minutes A Day Practicing meditation daily for at-least 20 minutes will help you cope with all kind of stress. Just disconnect yourself from the outer world, sit down and close your eyes for few minutes. This technique will help to give you inner peace and you will feel much positive after that.
10. Look at The Bright Side Of Life Life’s Good, if we think it is. Be positive and positive will come to you. Look at all the beautiful things around you, appreciate small gestures, make friends, go lively.
Conclusion Ayurveda is a way of life. We can live a healthy and happy life only by abiding with the simple laws of nature.