Cannabis is regarded as the five essential plants in Vedas, and for a good reason. Cannabis or “Vijaya” helps one to attain victory over sufferings.
However, so much has been said to misled about the plant, that people often get confused. Its beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder. Cannabis can be abused, yes. Similarly like anything used in excess is bad. But the medicine has so much potential to help in various ailments and act as a boon for mankind, if used in the right way.
We are witnessing a much needed mind shift with ongoing research and worldwide law reforms, which has brought the focus back to the benefits of Cannabis.
So, Why Cannabis?
Cannabis has been used since thousands of years in India to alleviate pain, relax muscles, stimulate appetite, improve sleep and reduce anxiety.
Cannabis is a vital ingredient in more than 80 traditional Ayurvedic formulas, in varying quantities. For individuals suffering from Insomnia, it works -
- As an effective sleep aid, as it restores person’s natural sleep cycle.
- With analgesic properties, it can provide relief from chronic pain,
- Its anti-anxiety properties help calm down mind and body,
- Reduces stress and improves mood
Please be advised that Cannabis is a medicine that works differently on different individuals and thus should be started slow to analyze its impact and interpret the right dose. It is best consumed under the guidance of a doctor and in moderation.
How is cannabis associated with sleep?
The herb contains many cannabinoids, which affects the body through the endocannabinoid system, the receptors of which are located in throughout our body. This system is a biochemical communication system of the body and regulates our physiology, mood, and everyday experience. Endocrine system regulates the processes such as sleep, energy storage, growth and development. Endocrine system disruption can lead to various disorders, including anxiety and insomnia.
Cannabinoids have the potential to regulate endocrine system and improve sleep patterns by reducing anxiety and improving REM sleep.
Which sleep disorders can be treated with Cannabis?
We sleep to rest the body and reset the mind for the next day. Imagine the plight of those who cannot get a restful sleep. Medicinal cannabis has been proven to be a boon for such patients, suffering from a range of sleep disorders. The five most common and precarious sleep disorders that can be benefitted by Cannabis are mentioned below:
- Sleep Apnea
Sleep apnea causes breathing to be interrupted for 10-30 seconds in one go, which causes loss of oxygen resulting in disturbed sleep.
Unable to fall asleep, when you want to, can cause a lot of stress. When this happens for a prolonged number of days, it is termed as insomnia.
- REM Sleep Behavior Disorder
You must have seen people talking or walking or moving their limbs, while sleeping, this is REM Sleep disorder, where the person enacts the dreams.
- Hyper somnolence
Hyper somnolence makes people very sleepy during the day. This situation does not get better even after a nightlong sleep.
- Restless Leg Syndrome
This disorder creates an irresistible urge to shake your legs. Movements of legs cause lot of disturbance in falling asleep.
Choose Authentic Products
Vedi Herbals offers 100% organic ayurvedic products, which can help treat your sleep issues-
- Sarpagandha Ghan Vati is one of the best natural medicines by Vedi Herbals to treat insomnia, along with high blood pressure and alcoholism, the most apparent problems in today’s world. Infused with the goodness of Cannabis, it is a good remedy for hypertension and insomnia.
- Vijaya Capsules (Cannabis Sativa) is a full spectrum cannabis extract, standardized to 4% CBD and 2% THC. Capsules available in 2:1 ratio are considered to be ideal for treating insomnia. Vijaya Capsules works on the interactions of cannabinoids with our own endocannabinoid system and help to regulate movement, mood, memory, appetite, pain and many other activities.
Ayurvedic Cannabis also has minor side effects, which can be easily reduced by including the following in your diet:
- Cannabis may have heating effects in body, so try to balance it with other herbs and foods, which have qualities pacifying its harmful effects. Consume foods that have cooling, moistening, nourishing effects.
- Ghee is an ideal treat for overall nourishment of body and digestion. While using Cannabis, ghee must be a part of diet.
- Spices such as cumin, coriander, fennel, rose, saffron have cooling digestive qualities, including them in your diet will also help.
- Pomegranate Juice, grape juice and coconut water are very refreshing, cooling, thirst quenching and improve digestion.
In the recent years, Cannabis has received immense attention and appreciation due to its enormous medicinal potential. Studies and time have proven that Cannabis definitely is a holistic herbal treatment for sleep disorders.